Keeping your teens active and engaged is essential for their physical and mental well-being. It can be hard to think of new ideas to keep them entertained, so we’ve compiled a list of fun things to do with a teenager.
Why Does Your Teenager Need to Be Active?
Most teenagers need around 8-10 hours of sleep each night, but many only get 6-7 hours. It can lead to tiredness during the day, making it hard to concentrate on schoolwork or stay active.
Regular exercise can help to improve the quality of your teenager’s sleep, as well as their mood and energy levels during the day. It’s essential to encourage them to find an activity they enjoy and are likely to stick to.
There are many other benefits of exercise for teenagers, including:
- Improved mental health
- Stronger bones and muscles
- Better heart health
- Improved joint function
- Better brain function
What Are Some Fun Things To Do With A Teenager?
There are many ways to keep your teenager active. Here are some ideas:
- Play a sport together: Whether it’s football, basketball, tennis, or another sport, playing together is a great way to bond and get some exercise.
- Go for a walk or hike: Taking a brisk walk or an easy hike is a great way to get some fresh air and explore the great outdoors.
- Ride bikes: Riding bikes is a fun activity that can be done solo, with friends, or as a family.
- Visit a trampoline park: Trampoline parks are a fun way to get some exercise and have a great time.
- Go swimming: Swimming is a great workout and can be done at any time of year.
- Take a dance class: Dancing is a great way to get active and have fun.
- Join a gym: If your teenager is looking for a more structured workout, joining a gym can be a great option. There are often group classes available which can be fun and motivating.
- Community service: Volunteering is a great way to give back to the community and can be very rewarding.
- Photo Hunt: A photo scavenger hunt is a great way to get teens up and moving while also being creative.
- Amusement Park: Visiting an amusement park is a great way to enjoy some thrills and spills while getting some exercise.
Encouraging your teenager to be active doesn’t have to be complicated. By finding activities that they enjoy, you can help them to lead a healthy and happy life.
>> YOU MAY ALSO LIKE : Fun Holiday Activities to Keep Your Teen Moving <<
How to Keep Your Teen Busy Without a Gadget
In our digital world, keeping teenagers away from screens can be challenging. But too much screen time can be harmful to their health and development.
Here are some ideas for things to do with a teenager that don’t involve screens:
- Reading a book together. Reading is a great way to bond and escape into another world.
- Play a board game: Board games are a fun way to spend time with friends or family.
- Make lunch: Cooking together is a great way to bond and learn new skills.
- Visit a museum: Museums are a great way to learn about history and culture.
- Go for a walk: Walking is a great way to get fresh air and exercise.
- Write letters: In a world of instant messaging, writing letters can be a fun way to connect with friends or family.
- Plant a garden: Gardening is a great way to relax and exercise.
- Do a puzzle: Puzzles are a great way to challenge the mind and have fun.
- Take photos: Photography is a great way to be creative and capture memories.
- Make a Scrapbook: Scrapbooking is a great way to preserve memories and be creative.
- Visit a farm: Farms are a great place to learn about where our food comes from and meet some animals.
How to Help Your Teenager Cope with Stress
Stress is a normal part of life, but it can be hard to cope with at any age. Stress in teenagers can come from many sources, including school, friends, family, and the future.
According to studies, about 30% of teenagers report feeling stressed most of the time. It can lead to anxiety, depression, and sleep difficulties.
So what can you do to help your teenager cope with stress? Here are some tips:
- Encouraging them to exercise: Exercise is a great way to reduce stress. It can also help to improve your mood and energy levels.
- Help them eat healthily: Eating a healthy diet can help to improve moods and energy levels. It’s also essential to make sure they’re getting enough sleep.
- Teach them relaxation techniques: Relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and meditation can help reduce stress.
- Encouraging them to talk about their feelings: Talking about their stressors can help your teenager understand and help them cope better.